KQIV 106.7 FM - Lake Oswego, Oregon - KQ4 Rockin' in Quad



Webmaster & KQ4 Jock / sometime
Music Dir.

Larry Scott


Spiritual Advisor, Historian & KQ4
Chief Engineer / Jock

J. R. Miller

Web www.rockininquad.com


Jack Malone
General Manager
(posted 30 SEP 04)

1-Memories of staff members     2-A few thoughts
3-Recycling coffee (ugh!)




I count myself in nothing else
so happy
As in a soul remem’bring my good


Old friends are the great blessings
of one’s later years. Half a word
conveys one’s meanings. They have a
memory of the same events, and have
the same mode of thinking.

Horace Walpole

(In alphabetical order)

GLEN ADAMS, Disc Jockey: Glen was the morning person (6 a.m. to 10 a.m.) at KQIV when it officially went on the air on September 15, 1972. Although cordial, my relationship with Glen was shallow -- usually a quick "hello" and "good-bye" -- as he was leaving work about the same time I was coming to work. I felt disappointed, however, when Glen soon left KQIV, participating in an exit epidemic that by December, 1972 had infected most of the program department.

, Disc Jockey: In addition to his own shift, Bob also was an important reserve jock. He would often fill in when the regular disc jockeys were unable to work. And he would always do a good job.

, Sales Representative: Ace certainly deserved his nickname because of his outstanding sales record at KQIV. Ace became KQIV’s longest surviving sales representative, mostly because he was able to weather almost every station political and engineering storm "come Walter Kraus or high water." Eventually, however, transmission problems beyond KQIV’s control sadly caused his departure -- as it did the unfortunate departures of many other sales people -- and Ace left KQIV to share his great name and excellent sales ability with a company that was more in control of its destiny.

GARY ANDERSON, Sales Manager: Gary rode into KQIV like the cavalry and led the sales department to safety at a time when it was surrounded by hostile management problems. Although he didn’t work for KQIV very long, Gary successfully accomplished what he set out to do, and then rode off into the sunset like the Lone Ranger. Later, I saw him working with Joe Kraus (Walter Kraus’s son) at Jake’s Famous Crawfish, a popular restaurant in downtown Portland. Both Gary and Joe were truly talented waiters. In fact, I would often take prospective KQIV advertising clients to Jake’s just to impress them with Gary and Joe’s amazing order-taking and food-serving abilities. Even though he was not a KQIV employee when he was working at Jake’s, Gary helped me make a number of good sales with his great comments about KQIV to my prospects during and after their excellent dining experience.

, Disc Jockey: Jeff was the afternoon person (2 p.m. to 6 p.m.) at KQIV when it officially went on the air. When I first met Jeff, I immediately judged him to be a hippie from his head (with long hair and tinted glasses) to his feet (with flared pants and pointed shoes). And then when he extended his hand in greeting and said, "What’s happenin’ man?" I knew he was totally depraved. Boy, was I wrong! Jeff may have looked and sounded like a hippie, but that’s where it all ended; in all other ways, he was a professional in every sense of the word. Whatever he did was usually of the highest quality. And I could always count on Jeff: he would work when others couldn’t (or wouldn’t) and he never complained. As an employee, I considered Jeff one of the four pillars of KQ4. And as a friend, he tried harder than anyone else to keep in touch after I quit KQIV. He even traveled to Longview, WA where I owned an ice cream shop to visit me.

, Program Director/Disc Jockey: Joe was called "Deep Throat" by many of his fans and he was proud to wear that label; he liked his name. Like Jeff Clarke and Larry Scott, Joe was one of KQIV’s most popular disc jockeys, and he accepted his well-earned fame with great humility. Whenever I think of KQIV, I often think of Joe and his famous gravelly voice.

, General Manager: Fred was the general manager of KQIV when it officially went on the air. I was put on KQIV’s payroll as Walter Kraus’s administrative assistant about a month before that time and became general manager when Fred and most of his staff walked out in a huff during the first week of December, 1972. Although I didn’t know Fred very well, what little I knew of him I liked. Walter said Fred and his loyalists were "fired," but that’s not the story I heard from them.

, Disc Jockey: Mostly, I remember Norman when he stormed into my office ("Stormin’ Norman" pun intended) and hit me on my right cheek. Being a Christian, I "turned to him my other also" (Matthew 5:39), and he hit me on my left cheek (it was then that I started to seriously question my religion). Although I had to go to the hospital for a couple of stitches, I soon regained my Christian senses, forgave Norman, and tried a lot harder to get along with him. In the meantime, he continued to be one of KQIV’s best disc jockeys.

, Office Manager: Linda was first hired as an assistant to office manager Patti Smith. After Patti left, Linda ended up being the third of three excellent KQIV office managers. Here is a paragraph from a letter I wrote to Linda on
April 5, 1974, shortly after I had quit KQIV: "May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on the excellent job I have heard you are doing. It appears that if I can claim any clear-cut fame for my efforts at KQIV, it was in hiring you."

, Sales Representative: Tom was in Gerhard Meng’s sales force (as was Ace Anderson). He made some nice sales and was well liked by his clients. Becoming good friends with Ace, he and Ace often worked together.

, Sales Traffic: I met Heather at a non-KQIV party when I was with another lady and Heather was by herself. We immediately hit it off and I soon found an excuse to take my date home and return to the party to pick up Heather. Within days, I hired her as our "traffic girl." Although Heather did excellent work, her political liberalism often clashed with my political conservatism in station politics; alas, I frequently found her on labor’s side instead of on management’s side when I fully expected her to support me on the latter. Nevertheless, when both of us were on our best behavior, we got along famously. Unfortunately, Heather left KQIV because of several, sad personal problems. Often, I have thought tenderly of her and wished I had helped her more.

, Disc Jockey: Ed was the
midday person (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) at KQIV when it officially went on the air. Ed was brilliant -- perhaps too brilliant; he was also very quiet and usually sought the shadows. On rare occasions, however, Ed would suddenly change his normal behavior 180 degrees and really startle all of us. Nevertheless, we all respected his tremendous creative abilities, regardless of his present state of mind.

, Musical Director/Program Director/Disc Jockey: Dick was the late-night person (10 p.m. to 2 a.m.) when KQIV officially went on the air. I had the distinct pleasure of working a lot with Dick and was extremely impressed with his comprehensive knowledge of radio in general and of quadraphonic sound in particular. Unfortunately, Dick was part of the "Fred Delahay Purge." His leaving was a major loss for KQIV.

, Disc Jockey: Gloria slipped in and out of the station without my seeing very much of her. But I often heard about her and it was always very good. I regretted not getting better acquainted with Gloria.

, Sales Manager. Kim was sales manager at a time when both Walter Kraus and the station’s antenna were causing considerable problems. Although Kim was good at his job, he was bad at adjusting to Walter’s ever-changing temperament -- particularly as it affected his sales territory. Suddenly, one day Kim was gone. I was disappointed but not at all surprised.

, Owner: However eccentric (to say the least), Walter was still my boss and I respected him for that. Like it or not (and much of the time I didn’t), I always tried to please him. He hired me at a time when he didn’t need additional personnel and was rapidly sinking into debt (I can often remember him saying "he was so deep in debt they were having to pump air to him;" either that or financially, "he was taking a bath"). Like fire, Walter was a faithful friend when he was under control (sober) or a fearful master when he was out of control (intoxicated). Trying to keep him sober became an unusual part of my job. Generally speaking, Walter treated me well until he sold the station and accepted down payments from two different parties at the same time (with each party not being aware of the other) and thereafter, feeling no longer concerned for the integrity of the station’s popular progressive format, filled Saturday mornings’ air time with high school basketball. I strongly protested both of those actions and eventually threatened to quit if high school basketball ever went on the air. The following Saturday morning a high school basketball game aired on KQIV, and I was history. I last read and saw of Walter in a Seattle newspaper where he was identified as a "dentist" and pictured standing by his Rolls-Royce with a vanity license plate on which was embossed "HUMILITY." What a guy!  (For another interesting look at Walter, see "Recycling Isn't Always a Good Idea!" at the bottom of the page.)

, Program Director/Disc Jockey: Written on the front inside cover of one of my favorite books is the following: "Jack, for your kindness and brotherly generosity I can only speak a common word, that’s thanks....for your spiritual help, I will speak and forever feel love." Signed, Jim LaFawn. In a note dated April, 1973, Jim wrote: "Jack, you treated me like a brother....I’ll not forget that." Jim lived with me when he first joined the KQIV staff and we soon became close friends. He was an excellent program director and was liked by everybody. I introduced Jim to the pretty lady who was later to become his wife and said good-bye to him in tears when I quit KQIV after that fateful, Saturday morning basketball game. Before long, I shed tears again when I heard that Jim had died. I still miss Jim; I guess I shall never forget him.

, Disc Jockey: I liked Faith from the moment I interviewed her and I fought hard (mostly with Walter Kraus) to get her a job as a disc jockey. Faith soon exceeded everybody’s wildest expectations and became a very popular member of the KQIV family. She and her husband also treated me as "family." I was often invited to their home for dinner where I enjoyed seeing their lovely daughter, Eve, whom I suspect grew up to be as attractive and talented as her also Bible-named mother.

, News Director/Program Director/Disc Jockey: Although I liked Ben, for some reason, he didn’t like me. One evening when Ben and I were at Faith Landreth’s home for dinner, Ben asked me not to refer to him as "my friend" anymore. That was hard for me to do: I slipped up several times and was quickly rebuked by Ben; but eventually, I learned how to get along with him -- as I did with Norman Flint -- and we at least tolerated each other when we had to work together.

, Consulting Engineer: When we experienced a technical problem that Joel Miller couldn’t fix, Joel called Bob. An engineer of engineers, Bob almost always got us back on the air. I slept much better during rating times when I knew Bob was as close as Joel’s telephone.

, Sales Manager: Gerhard’s many talents often extended far beyond his position as sales manager. In fact, if I could have suggested a person from within KQIV to be general manager when I quit, I would have suggested Gerhard. We did many promotional events together and became very good friends. In fact, after both of us had left KQIV, we seriously considered going into the travel business together. Had I been single, as Gerhard was at the time (I had just gotten married), I would have gladly joined him and led bicycle tours for good money all over

, Chief Engineer/Disc Jockey: Joel was my closest friend at KQIV. I frequently saw him after working hours because we lived in the same apartment complex and enjoyed many of the same social activities; I saw him less frequently during working hours because he was usually at our transmitter site trying to get us back on the air. I considered Joel one of the four pillars of KQ4. After he left KQIV and joined the staff of KATU Television, I eagerly looked forward to watching KATU’s Christmas promos just to see if I could spot my old radio buddy among all the KATU television stars. Eventually, Joel’s annual television appearances became my last human link -- however weak -- to my fond memories of KQIV.

, Disc Jockey: Steve came in like a whirlwind and went out about the same. In the short time between his coming and going, he did a good job and was liked by almost everybody.

, Disc Jockey: Jim was a nice guy who did a nice job. I often heard Jim LaFawn speak highly of him.

, Office Manager: Susan was the first of three excellent KQIV office managers. She held that position when KQIV officially went on the air. Susan was helpful to everybody; she was our "Girl Friday." Often, Susan and I competed to see who could get Walter Kraus to do something we knew he didn’t want to do; alas, Susan usually won. I give her great credit for KQIV’s initial success. She was certainly much more than a very pretty face.

, Production Manager/Disc Jockey: In August, 1994, I was surprised and thrilled by a chance encounter with Mike, his beautiful wife, Barbara, and their handsome son, Adam, at a Mount St. Helen’s visitor center of which I was part owner. Although Irish, I played the part of a "Greek bearing gifts" without the "beware," and loaded Mike up with Mount St. Helens cards, ash, and a Harry Truman album which I had produced with the help of the managers of two old, but famous, rock groups. In subsequent correspondence, both Mike and I agreed that our favorite lyric in the twelve songs on the album was Cyril Kittelson’s "If the way you live ain’t worth dying for, then your living ain’t so good." That kind of thinking is a perfect example of why I considered Mike one of the four pillars of KQ4. He put his whole being into every commercial he ever produced for KQIV. And although nothing was ever perfect to him, almost everything was perfect to his many satisfied clients. The nature of his job made Mike the bridge between KQIV’s sound and sales....its expenses and income....and in the end, its success or failure. And being so connected with sales, Mike often agonized with all the KQIV sales representatives who, because of transmission problems beyond their control, couldn’t sell advertising to clients (even as close as several miles from the station) who couldn’t hear KQIV -- let alone his outstanding commercials -- on their own store’s radio.

, Musical Director/Disc Jockey: One of the nicest things ever said about me as general manager of KQIV was said by Larry Scott in his column in "Walrus: The Progressive Music Newsletter" dated September 26, 1973. Stating that there were two people in particular who stood out as KQIV mainstays in its first year of operation, Larry said: "Our GM, Jack Malone. A Prince. The man who held it all together." Well, Larry, if I was "A Prince," you were "The King," for I couldn’t have done it without your noble effort and royal support. Your help, my friend, (don’t let Ben Marsh hear me say "my friend") -- freely given "ABSOLUTELY LIVE, 24 HOURS A DAY" -- was the reason why I considered you one of the four pillars of KQ4. Maybe I "held it all together" then, but look who’s holding it all together now. Thank you, dear Larry (and Joel Miller if you are listening in), for making this terrific KQIV website homecoming possible. Both of you have made a lot of old and tired radio folk -- if only for a few, almost sacred minutes -- feel young and full of life again.

, Program Director/Disc Jockey: Steve was the evening person (6 p.m. to 10 p.m.) at KQIV when it officially went on the air. I liked Steve and thought he did a nice job. I was sorry to see him leave.

, Office Manager: Patti was the second of three excellent KQIV office managers. I thought of her as "Mother Superior" because she was always so concerned about everybody’s health and welfare. She was particularly concerned over the sales department: she correctly knew the secret to KQIV’s success was sales and the increasing scarcity thereof would eventually threaten the station’s continued existence. Not one to mince words, Patti was quick in telling me my thinking didn’t measure up to her standards of fair play and common sense; in many ways, she was my KQIV conscience. Patti seemed more unhappy than anyone else over my sudden departure from KQIV, and her effort to keep in touch after I left was second only to Jeff Clarke’s.

, Disc Jockey: Michael worked from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. when KQIV officially went on the air. I saw very little of Michael. Quite possibly, that was because he worked when I slept and I slept when he worked.

, Sales Manager: Bob was one of several sales managers who gave it his best shot but eventually got discouraged over KQIV’s transmission problems and its effect on his and his sales force’s commissions. While hanging on as long as possible, he was of great help to me in promotional events. I enjoyed Bob; we had a lot of good times together.

, Sales Manager: John was sales manager at KQIV when it officially went on the air. Other than Walter Kraus, John was my first friend at KQIV and he treated me like we had been friends all our lives. John introduced me to the radio business in general and to KQIV in particular; he became my mentor. And, in that capacity, he sacrificed many hours of his sales time to "teach me the ropes." Fortunately, John’s concern for me didn’t stop at KQIV. He spent valuable hours of his off-time helping me find a suitable place to live and suitable ladies to date. Let’s face it, lining up a friend with a blind date can be a good way to lose that friend; however, to John’s eternal credit, he came out smelling like a rose....time and time again.

As general manager, I spent a lot of time either trying to inflate deflated egos of our long-haired, "no neck" disc jockeys who Walter Kraus nearly daily insulted by calling them "mental midgets," or trying to deflate inflated prejudices of the short-haired, "red neck" "Elks" (remember, KQIV was located in the Lake Oswego Elks Lodge) who considered anyone with long hair a "dirty hippie" to say the best or a "communist" to say the worst.

In between arbitration sessions, with the great ideas of many of the KQIV staff and with the help of an excellent designer, Darryl Ware; an outstanding photographer, Jim Felt; a quality printer, Frank Jackson; my old electric typewriter; and a cheap clip-art book, I produced many of the advertising and promotional pieces illustrated on this website. No, "CHILDERN" as in "ALL QUAD’S CHILDERN LISTEN" was not misspelled on purpose; rather, it was a printing error I failed to catch in my proofreading of the advertising campaign of the same name, and it gives graphic meaning to the old adage that "haste makes waste." I just about died when I first saw the error on a billboard in downtown Portland. Believe it or not, I’m still embarrassed about it.

Being as old as I am (I was born in 1940), I have received thousands of birthday cards. Interestingly, one card stands out from all the others. It was given to me by Patti Smith shortly before I quit KQIV and I have used its touching poetic message countless times in my custom-made birthday cards to my own family and friends. Since I consider all of the KQIV staff as my "other" family and friends, I want to sign off by sharing Patti’s poem with you -- not as a "birthday wish" for which it was originally intended -- but, rather, as a "friendship wish" to each and every one of you.

I do not wish you joy without a sorrow ~
Nor endless day without the healing dark ~
Nor brilliant sun without the restful shadow ~
Nor tides that never turn against your bark.
I wish you love,
and strength,
and faith,
and wisdom,
gold enough to help some needy one.
I wish you songs, but also blessed silence...
And God's sweet peace when every day is done.

Dorothy Nell McDonald


Additional thought:  (posted 07 OCT 04)

                                     RECYCLING ISN’T ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA!

By Jack Malone, General Manager

It happened about six months after KQIV first went on the air. Suddenly, the taste of our employee coffee started to change. Initially, it changed from good to strange. Several days later, it degraded from strange to bad. And in a few more days, the taste had deteriorated from bad to...well...vile! Finally, the coffee-drinking employees couldn’t stand it any longer. And a sizeable delegation of them marched into my office and registered their discontent.

Now, being an avid coffee drinker myself, I sympathized with the coffee protesters and assured them I was “one cup ahead” of them in investigating the whole sordid matter. I told them I had examined the coffee machine and found it was working perfectly; had inspected the coffee packets and confirmed they were the same good brand we had always enjoyed; had evaluated the dishwashing routine and was satisfied the washed cups were “squeaky clean;” and had scrutinized the dishwashing soap and detected no visible contamination. Although the disgruntled employees seemed impressed with my investigative efforts, they insisted I must have missed something and demanded the mystery be solved. And quickly.

Early the next morning, I arrived at the station to prepare for a meeting with Walter Kraus. To my surprise, Walter was already there, sitting in my office chair. I told him I was not ready for the meeting and asked him if he could wait a little while. He agreed to the delay and said that while waiting he would “make the coffee as he had been doing early every morning for over a week.” Walter headed for the kitchen and I sat down at my desk.

All of a sudden, it dawned on me. I rushed into the kitchen with a long mental list of coffee questions for Walter, but he was nowhere to be found. Then, I heard the door to the control room open. I quickly hid behind the adjoining kitchen door and saw Walter carrying a tray on which were empty and partly full coffee cups from the control room. He then went into the production room and, from my hiding place, I saw him put more coffee cups on his tray. From there, he went straight to the kitchen where he put into the sink all of the empty coffee cups and those partly full coffee cups whose cold contents were whitened with cream. Then, he grabbed an empty coffeepot into which he poured all of the partly full coffee cups containing cold black coffee (with or without sugar -- who knows?), spooned some fresh ground coffee from a packet directly into the coffeepot, topped it all off with hot tap water, and then placed his pot of strange brew onto one of the coffee machine’s burners, which he had apparently turned on moments before.

Hurriedly, I slipped into my office and sat down just seconds before Walter barged through my door. He told me, impatiently, that he wanted to start the meeting just as soon as the coffee was ready. I informed him that I unexpectedly wasn’t feeling very well and asked if we could have our meeting sometime later in the day. He seemed perturbed, but consented to the postponement. We set a new meeting time and he left the station to run an errand. I immediately ran to the restroom.

For the remainder of the day, my feelings of nausea returned only when I seriously contemplated the possible health implications of what I had witnessed Walter doing in the kitchen. A lot of employees to whom I related my disgusting discovery experienced reoccurring nausea for very much the same reason as I.

Since I didn’t want to hurt Walter’s feelings or provoke him to wrath, I decided not to say anything to him about his “coffee-recycling” system at our meeting later that day. But that didn’t mean I hadn’t thought about his possible reasons for doing it -- because I had. For one thing, I didn’t think he was doing it to irritate the staff, simply because he was very experienced in more effective ways of doing that if he really wanted to. For another thing, I didn’t think he was considering changing his popular nickname of “Daddy Warbucks” to “Daddy Starbucks” and developing a new coffee-making process, simply because he needed to spend all of his time and nearly exhausted funds on KQIV. Rather, I was convinced he was just trying to save a few “regular bucks” in his own inimitable way -- quite possibly, without even thinking about all of the potential health hazards in the recycling of cold used coffee.

Regardless of Walter’s reasons, I immediately initiated the following corrective action: I instructed every coffee-drinking employee to take his own cup to the kitchen sink, to dump its entire contents, if any, down the drain, and to rinse out the cup before leaving the station. That, I assured everybody, would subtly and instantly force Walter out of the “coffee-recycling” business and simultaneously would put our coffee machine back into its business of brewing the good-tasting employee coffee which we all had become accustomed to.

Praise be, the coffee-drinking employees fully cooperated; Walter abruptly quit his “coffee-recycling” shenanigans without a peep; and I was freed to direct my attention to solving other confounding station mysteries, such as the increasingly recurring, sweet smoky smell in the control room.


Where's Jack now?



Web www.rockininquad.com

©2004-2011  Rockin' in Quad dot Com